Equity In Education
by Rasheda Kelley & Talitha Batts
Absolutely! Intersectionality is an important concept in technology as it highlights how different aspects of identity intersect and create unique experiences. Improving learning tools is one way to ensure that everyone has access to the same resources. The Covid-19 pandemic has provided educators the opportunity to identify technical ways to instruct students. To educate all individuals efficiently, diversity in technology is important. Specifically, the significance of having a diverse team developing products and services in technology education ensures that every individual is represented. By introducing more flexible learning tools, we can provide a space that is more inclusive and promotes diversity. We can also use these tools to provide educational materials that are tailored to the needs of different groups. Additionally, having access to more advanced learning tools can help to ensure that everyone is able to access the same level of education and resources.
Learning tools for college students such as Udemy provides accessibility to education. Progression of diversity in technology development can improve learning tools for all students. According to Gwin (2022), it is vital to make the effort to streamline intersectionality within technology and identify all marginalized groups. Students should be able to identify with learning tools and materials to obtain an equitable outcome in education. By improving learning tools, we can increase intersectionality in technology and create a more equitable playing field representing all individuals.
5 Improvements to Learning Tools that will Boost Intersectionality in Technology?
- Create learning modules and tools that are accessible to people of all abilities and backgrounds. This includes creating tools that are easily navigable for people with vision, hearing, or mobility impairments.
- Incorporate tools that use a variety of languages, including those for people who speak English as a second language.
- Develop instructional tools that provide a variety of perspectives and are sensitive to cultural, political, and religious differences.
- Utilize interactive tools that allow learners to engage in conversations, debates, and discussions with peers from all backgrounds and experiences.
- Develop learning tools that incorporate multimedia content, such as videos and images, that represent different types of people and cultures. This helps to create a more inclusive learning environment.
Elberfeld, J. (2019, February 8). How To Boost Intersectionality In Tech. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/02/08/how-to-boost-intersectionality-in-tech/?sh=2cf714442bd2
Gandolfi, E., Ferdig, R. E., & Kratcoski, A. (2021). A new educational normal an intersectionality-led exploration of education, learning technologies, and diversity during COVID-19. Technology in Society, 66, 101637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2021.101637
Gwin, C. (2022, April 21). The Importance of Intersectionality in Tech. All Tech Is Human. https://alltechishuman.org/community-voices/the-importance-of-intersectionality-in-tech
Online Courses – Learn Anything, On Your Schedule. (n.d.). Udemy. https://www.udemy.com/